Wi-Fi My Camera!

On Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2 comments


I've used Eye-Fi cards for a few years now and have been blown away by their functionality and feature set. I remember an article I read about this device from Walt Mossberg back in 2008. I am also shocked at how many people do not have nor have even heard about this wonderful product.

What is geotagging? With the built-in gps within the Eye-Fi card, all your photos are labeled with location data about where the picture was taken. Applications like iPhoto, Photoshop Elements, Picasa and online sites like Flickr and SmugMug all recognize this information and can show you where all your pictures were taken. Great for finding a picture from your last vacation.

Obviously you have wi-fi at home...right? Well if you get the Pro X2 or upgrade one of the other cards with Eye-Fi's hotspot access, you'll be able to upload your photos from the tens of thousands of AT&T wi-fi hotspots across the US. You can find these hotspots at Starbucks, hotels, Barnes & Nobles (if there are any left open near you), airports, etc. Great for when you are on the go and want to make sure your pictures are safely backed up or shared. (Note: the hotspot service is only free for the first year.)

If it sounds like this is an ad...it isn't. I just love this clever, little device and feel is it not getting the recognition it deserves. Out of my dozens of "tech geek/photo-freak" friends, only one has this amazing device. And for as little as $40, you get a 4GB memory card with all these features. So if you are in the market for a fast SD memory card...go get yourself one of these and let me know what you think.

My only gripe is that there is not a compact flash version for my Pro cameras that don't use SD cards.


Also be sure to comment below and share your experiences with any of these devices in general. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook.

If you have any comments or feedback, feel free to email me at wouldntmind@gmail.com.

Just my 2-cents,
Larry


Comments
2 Comments

2 comments:

insyns said...

Sounds great. Which website allows you to upload your pictures and lets friends and family download the pictures?

Unknown said...

I haven't used all the available online services but Flickr does allow you to share your pictures. Authorized friends and family can order prints or download the full-resolution file for their own needs.

Post a Comment